Friday 17 October 2014

Listen: Project 2



During the listen project we were asked to create a piece of work based on a sound that we either loved or hated. I thought about these sounds a lot and decided that I wanted to respond to a sound that I liked, however I found it difficult to choose a sound as it was hard to pick out a sound that I really liked/loved. I initially thought about the sound of silence and every day background noises, but I settled on the idea of conversations and the sounds of people’s voices.  On the other hand while I was researching and trying to find sounds I liked I did discover a lot of sounds that I dislike/hate.

I used water colour paint to create my pieces, I decided that I wanted to create a few small A6 pieces that responded to the sounds of conversations, to do this I listen to the conversations of people around me and used black paint to create abstract shapes that sort of mapped out the structure of the conversations, I did this by using the paint darker in areas of the conversation where the speech was more intense or spoken quicker and added more water to the paint to make it lighter in the areas of speech where there was less said or it was quieter. Also the position of the paint relates to where people were standing during the conversation.

I feel than these pieces worked out well and became hugely abstract and interesting and in a way became a map of sounds and speech. And I think you can really grasp a sense of the mood of the conversations from the intensity or lack of paint.   

To develop this further I would like to study/respond to more varying conversations by a lot of different people, as some of my pieces look very similar, this may be because they are all of the same people talking and all in quite a short space of time/ about similar topics.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment