Wednesday 3 December 2014

Joseph Mallord William Turner


"Born London ,1775, died London, 1851. Turner was the most original and imaginative figure in the history of English landscape painting." (Andrew Graham-Dixon, Art the definitive visual guide, 2008, star standard industries, Singapore)
  • JMW Turner-Snowstorm: Hannibal crossing the alps, 1812 (forceful) - trying to show that nature is so powerful and that people are quite insignificant. Turner became obsessed with light and nature, reviving myths in a modern story.
Quotes;
  • "Every time I look in the mirror I see a gargoyle" - Timothy Spall, Quoting Turner.
  • "I didn't paint... to be understood I wish to show what such a scene was like" - Turner.
  •  "Atmosphere is my style" - Turner.
  • "Indistinctness is my fault" - Turner.

  • "The motif is unimportant to me, what I want  to reproduce is what stands between the motif and me." - Monet.

Turner-War: The exile and the rock limpet (1842)

Turner-The Thames above Waterloo Bridge (1830-1835)

Turner-Shade and darkness: The evening of the deluge (1843)

Turner-Fire at the grand storehouse of the tower of London (1841) 

Turner-Light and colour - Goeth's theory (1843)

Turner-Peace Burial at sea (1842)

Turner-Rough sea (1840-1845)

Turner-Colour trails (1791)

Turner-A tree, with a line of trees beyond

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment