Friday 15 January 2016

A6 Heart And Flowers Illustration


The image below is an A6 (postcard watercolour paper) watercolour, I found an image of a dissected heart that I thought was really beautiful and decided that I wanted to include it in a painting.
I was inspired by some of the illustrations and drawings, that I found while I was doing my research, to add in the flowers to the composition. And I feel that this worked really well and made the image a lot more interesting and intriguing than it just being a watercolour painting of a heart. However I made my painting different to the illustrations I had seen by painting in dead flowers rather than live ones.
As I was collecting images and things to draw from during this project, I bought some flowers, with the intention of painting and drawing from them, as I thought it would be better to draw from life rather than photographs. However I decided that I actually preferred to draw from the flowers when they were dead more than I did when they were alive. I feel that the dead, dried out flowers are much more interesting and have a beautiful texture to them. Especially with this piece, I feel that the juxtaposition between the flowers and the heart works really well and that some of the shapes and patterns in the dissected heart are mimicked by the shapes in the flowers, and they really complement each other visually.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment