Tuesday 21 April 2015

Richard Hamiton


Richard Hamilton (1922-2011), was an English painter and collage artist. 1950s-60s - His early work was influenced by D'Ary Wentworth Thompson' 1917 text 'On growth and form.

 
 
The collage above is Hamilton's most famous and most known piece entitled 'Just what is it that makes todays' homes so different, so appealing?' - This collage is made up of consumer products and recognizable images of the time. This image was the first piece of 'Pop Art' to achieve iconic status, (created in 1956). Hamilton subsequently created several works in which he reworked the subject and composition of the Pop Art collage, including a 1992 version, featuring a female bodybuilder.
I already knew of Richard Hamilton's work before I started this project, as I had looked at his work during past projects. However I hadn't really considered looking at his work at all for this project, until I found an article about his work in one of the fashion magazines, when I was looking for images to collage with.   

No comments:

Post a Comment